Old St. Paul's Church
We are not a parish school, but we are affiliated with Old St. Paul’s Church in downtown Baltimore. Our roots trace back to 1799 when the Benevolent Society of the City and County of Baltimore, founded by a group of parishioners from Old St. Paul’s Church, established an institution for poor or orphaned girls where the charge was to teach reading and writing, not just domestic skills.
During the 1800s and 1900s, the school closed and reopened several times with different names and in different locations. In 1958, members of the Benevolent Society voted to establish a new college-preparatory school, which opened officially in 1959 and has grown steadily over the years. Today, St. Paul's School for Girls is one of the premier independent schools for girls in the Baltimore area, and we continue to honor our relationship with Old St. Paul’s church. Our Baccalaureate service, which blesses and celebrates our graduating seniors, is held annually at Old St. Paul’s Church. In addition, the Rector of Old St. Paul’s serves as a board member of our school.